Tuesday, January 27, 2009

sleep training is not for the weak

Baxter used to sleep great at night. Then it got worse, and it never got better. So I read the No Cry Sleep Solution. It had some great tips that started to work and then never completely did the trick. Then Kimmie sent me Sleep Sense, and it was very similar to the No Cry Sleep Solution, it just acknowledged that Babies cry when they don't get what they want. For Baxter, that's nursing to sleep. Well, we don't let him cry it out, but he does fuss.

Overall it's been a huge success so far. Naps are awesome now. He's cut down to 3 naps a day, and sometimes he tries to get it to two. But putting him down for naps is super easy, as long as it follows the routine. Change diaper, nurse, put in crib with lovey on chest, turn off light, turn on music. He'll talk to himself for a moment or two, find a comfortable position, and pass out. He has always slept on his back, but now that he can choose sometimes it's on his side (in a funny fighter pose!) or on his tummy.

Nights have had mixed success. He doesn't like going to bed. Sometimes it's easy like naps, other times it takes over an hour. But last night he slept from 7pm until 4am, then nursed and was backed in bed by 4:05 and woke up for the day at 6am. Not too bad! *I* was in pain, but only because I'm not used to him sleeping that much. In the last 5 days he has only woken up once or twice a night. Much better than four or more!

I'm crazy overloaded with school at the moment. I should probably be working on a paper right now, but I need a few minutes to myself. Baxter is down for his first nap of the day, but will most likely be awake soon. My diapers have taken off quite a bit as well. Which is exciting in some sense, but I'm not prepared yet! I just want to finish school!

Jason still doesn't know if he will have a job next year or not. He's in a really tough situation. The job fair is in the beginning of April, and he won't really know by then. So he has to decide whether or not he wants to attend and look to see what's available. It's just all up in the air. I really don't want to move in June though, since we would have to be out of here by the end of the month, and the end of school got pushed back. I would end up doing almost everything myself to pack up, while watching Baxter at the same time. I know I could do it, but I don't want to. Sigh.

Ok, off to work while the man child still sleeps!

No comments:

Post a Comment